This is an essential read penned by Bethany Webster to all the over stretched exhausted women out there:
Things you can do in the moment: How to build awareness of your window of tolerance
If you notice yourself feeling spacey, disassociating, numbed out, bored, flat (hypo-aroused), try these energizing techniques:
- Movement or dancing.
- Taking a walk in nature, noticing the sounds, smells, sights.
- Rocking in a chair.
- Smelling essential oils.
- Splashing some refreshing cold water on your face.
- Doing some short burst of physical activity like jumping jacks.
If you notice yourself feeling hypervigilant, agitated or overwhelmed (hyper-aroused), try these grounding techniques:
- Warm (or weighted) blanket.
- Soothing, calming music.
- Comforting foods & drinks like tea or hot chocolate.
- Some kind of craft or art, like coloring or painting.
- Looking at nature, wind in the trees, bees in flowers, clouds in sky, etc.
- Deep breathing and stretching.
This process takes time, like learning the roadmap of our own internal systems.