Roasted Red Pepper, Cherry tomato and Chickpea with Flageolet bean Salad
This salad is adapted from the wonderful book titled Avoca Salads and its first trial run was at a recent BBQ; it went down a hit. This recipe is so easy and I am sure that multiple adaptations can be made I did make some changes as follows.
Images of the book cover with original images of this tasty salad. I didn’t adapt it for any reason other than I tend to like to make a food more personal with my own tweaks.
My substitutions were:
- the addition of flageolet beans
- the addition of organic cherry tomatoes
- subbing coriander for parsley as I prefer its flavour in salads
- using long red peppers instead of bell peppers as I prefer their sweetness
- omitting the garlic and spring onion in fear it may be a tad too strong for kiddies and guests
- and finally I added a dash of my own home-made dressing
The original recipe and book are available on amazon or in Avoca stores as here.
Ingredients for Roasted Red Pepper and Chickpea Salad
- 3 red peppers – cut in strips
- Punnet of organic cherry tomatoes or smallish tasty looking organic tomatoes – washed and halved
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 x 400g / 14-ounce cans chickpeas – rinsed and drained
- 1 x 400g/ 14-ounce can flageolet beans – rinsed and drained
- 2 garlic cloves – peeled and finely chopped (I omitted these as I am not a great garlic fan and was also concerned that this may not suit the kiddies)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ to ½ cup fresh coriander (or flat-leaf parsley) – roughly chopped
- 1 bunch scallions (again I omitted these as the kiddies and some adults tend to find these too strong. if preferred oven roast these also to soften and sweeten the flavour)
- Preheat oven to 180 ° C/ 350 ° F/ gas mark 4.
- Toss red pepper strips and cherry tomatoes in 2 tablespoons olive oil, and roast for 10 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally until starting to toast and turn brown. Transfer peppers and cherry tomatoes to a bowl, and cover with cling-film.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat, and add chickpeas and flageolet beans. Toss in the oil, and heat through for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic (if using) and spices, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, or until spices lose their raw aroma and smell toasty. Season with salt and pepper as you go, and taste along the way.
- Transfer bean mixture to a bowl, add pepper strips and cherry tomatoes, and season with lemon juice.
- Add coriander parsley (and scallions), and toss.
- If you prefer to add further dressing then mix the following ingredients together in a glass jar, cover, mix well and then drizzle on your salad:
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Dried cumin
You must log in to post a comment.