Functional Diagnostic testing can be incredibly helpful in the diagnostic work up of patients suffering with chronic health problems….
Do you suffer from any of the following problems?
- Chronic gastrointestinal problems such as IBS, post-infectious IBS, leaky gut, food allergies, food sensitivity, histamine intolerance, inflammation, ulcers, leaky gut, Crohns disease, Ulcerative colitis, etc.?
- Skin problems such as acne, rosacea, psoriasis, itchy skin, hives, eczema, or urticaria?
- Chronic fatigue syndrome or Fibromyalgia?
- Autoimmune conditions such as arthritis
- Elevated cholesterol or heart disease (may be linked to certain microbes)
- Thyroid problems
- Elevated levels of toxic metals?
- Depression, anxiety, or other central nervous system conditions
- Food allergies, gluten intolerance, or multiple chemical sensitivities?
- the list goes on and on and many conditions may seem very far removed from the health of the gut and the functioning of the local immune system in the gut; but they are not! See here for a nice review on Dysbiosis of the gut microbiota in disease
And have you had exposure to any of these?
- Antibiotics as a child
- Multiple courses of antibiotics as an adult
- Severe food poisoning or gastro bugs or gastro-flu
- History of foreign travel
- Well water or exposure to water of questionable quality
- Oral contraceptive pill, stomach acid blockers/ proton pump inhibitors, or steroid medication exposures
- High stress levels
- Poor diet; notably high intake of sugar or foods containing antibiotics or glycophosphates (e.g. processed wheat), or alcohol
- Pets and farm animals
It may be easier than you think to diagnose a significant causative factor to your chronic health problems…
I am sharing a superb article about Histamine Intolerance, MTHFR and Methylation by Dr Lynch, so that you can better educate yourself on this condition.
As most of you know I am a veritable library of knowledge and research and I am continually reading and researching. I don’t however have time to get all this knowledge down on blogs and into paper as I prefer to spend the time practically working with you. So I do tend to refer you on, often to articles like this, such that you can read the very best advice that is out there to further your own education and hence empower you along this journey back to health so that you in truth don’t need me for very long!
“my goal is to support you along the way; for as long as it takes for me to guide you back to health and then to assist you in learning the tools to restore and then maintain health…
Not a great business plan for me; and all in your best interest!!”
Allergies such as food allergies and histamine intolerance (and gluten intolerance) can be a nightmare to navigate for patients. I see so many people coming into the office after years of searching, having incurred mega financial expenditure, and attended numerous health professionals all offering conflicting advice and differing diagnoses.
By now most clients are at the end of their tether; struggling to follow highly restrictive diets, are taking multiple supplements to offset the deficiencies resulting from these restrictive diets, and are no healthier (in fact most are worse now than when they started). This is not a happy place to be and I completely understand how most clients are terribly unhappy, overwhelmed and frustrated.
All in all one BIG MESS that I must untangle. This is where I would rather use my brain power and time to pull all the pieces of your health puzzle apart and then lay out a strategy for you to focus on for healing.
What do I suggest?
In relation to food intolerances and issues such as food related symptoms, IBS, chronic inflammatory bowel conditions, and allergy type symptoms I believe that most ‘problems’ go back to the gut.
Often the upstream problems are gluten related ‘damage’; parasitic, yeast or microbial dysbiosis (food and water-borne infection; antibiotic exposure, chemical and medication exposure etc.); compromised digestive function; inflamed, hyper-permeable or damaged gastrointestinal wall; suboptimal functioning of the support organs such as the liver and gallbladder; excessive stress resulting in sympathetic dominance and neuro-endocrine imbalances are a small example of how things can go wrong! And this is only in relation to the gastrointestinal system; remember that we are a complex organism where everything is linked!
So once I have had a look at all areas of your health in more detail we usually will look to more comprehensively assess the gut. Most healing protocols will prioritise the healing of the gastrointestinal system because if you can get the gut to a healthy place then most health issues resolve and almost all food issues resolve; and when there are remaining issues we then address these.
In a nutshell we investigate the function of the gut, the integrity of the gut and function of accessory organs, and we assess the balance of the gut microbiota. Then depending on what we find (i.e. the results of tests) we will address the imbalances, restore optimal function, heal inflammation, support accessory organ function, and resolve any microbial and parasitic imbalances.
If you are suffering with any health issues that you suspect may be related to the health of the gut then please contact me and we can assess your current health and decide together on functional medicine tests should these be necessary and then put a diet and healing plan in place to restore full health and resolve any food related intolerances.
PS in the meantime read on here for some super insights into Histamine Intolerance, MTHFR and Methylation by Dr. Lynch