Fruity-veggie athlete bread (gluten-free)
This loaf is similar to the Athlete fruit bread but jam packs in some more goodness in the form of vegetables, fruit and nutrition rich grain alternatives. Who would have thought you can sneak in all this goodness into a slice of bread!!
Amaranth is a super little seed that is high in protein, minerals and fibre and works like a grain in the diet. It can be prepared as a grain (similar to quinoa), popped like popcorn, or used as the whole seed or flour in baking or as a porridge option for breakfast.
Ingredients for fruit-veggie athlete bread:
The ingredient quantities are a tad on the guesstimate side as I flung this all together and it worked better than expected; use your better judgement when preparing this bread. This is a very flexible recipe and I was using what I had in stock.
Flours can be altered for what you have although I do recommend that you get acquainted with the healthier more nutritious flours such as millet, buckwheat, teff, amaranth, quinoa, oat, chestnut etc.
- 1 cup gluten-free self-raising flour (I use Doves Farm)
- 1 cup amaranth flour (this is where I buy mine )
- 1 cup gluten-free oats (I bought mine here the last time to trial this suppliers and they are good)
- ½ cup whole flax seeds
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder (I use Doves Farm)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Generous amount of sea salt
- 1 grated carrot
- ½ grated courgette
- 1 small pear – grated
- ½ cup approximately dried mixed vine fruits
- 2 large free range organic hen or duck egg
- Water to desired “bread” consistency
Mix all of your dry ingredients together. Then add the eggs, grated fruit and vegetables, dried fruits and then water and mix to the consistency of bread.
Press into a bread loaf tin that has been lined on the bottom with greaseproof paper and oiled with some butter or coconut butter. Bake at approximately 180-200° C for approximately 45-60 minutes depending on how long it takes for a knife to come out slightly moist when piercing the bread loaf.
Remove from the tin, allow to cool and enjoy!!