Quick pan sautéed vegetables in pesto
This is a very quick and nutritious dish that will go well on the side of cooked meats, poultry or fish. If you need more carbs I suggest steamed summer potatoes or oven roasted roots like sweet potato, potato, or butternut squash topped with extra virgin olive oil and fresh chopped or dried herbs.
- Butter or coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion – peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic – smashed or mashed J
- Several Portobello or large capped local mushrooms – chopped into thick slices
- Small bunch Swiss chard (spinach or kale will also work) – washed and shredded
- Pesto – I like the Superquinn variety but usually I make my own as I make it more concentrated in herbs and lower in oil and I omit the cheese. There are good versions of cheese and dairy free pesto available in specialist stores and I recommend these over the cheesy fatty pesto’s available in the supermarkets.
- Optional dollop of cream or low-fat cheese
- Seasoning: sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Easy peasy; first heat the oil in a large saucepan (preferably a green one that is Teflon free). Sauté the onions and garlic until starting to turn translucent; add the mushrooms and when these look cooked add the chopped greens, pesto and cream or cream cheese if using. Toss until just done; season to taste and serve.
Enjoy; love Andrea